This is the postmortem for the October Challenge, not for the game itself. After two days of full work, we can now take a look back at what we've done, what was good or bad.
What went right
- Appealing idea
The earl ideas and concept art were appreciated by the other people. It helps a lot to start a project to be encouraged by others!
In two days we created a lot of things. Far more that I imagined. It is certain that Stencyl bugs slowed us but nevertheless we went really fast (we worked 12h+ a day!)
- Powerful tools
We used tools that are really efficient and that we knowed before. This makes a huge difference in the overall developpement. It does not only speeds up the creation process but it kind of motivates more due to the rarity of problems.
What went wrong
- No prototype
Seriously, we had no prototype! This should be easy with the engine(s) that we used, but we never got one. I know how important it is to always have a "working" thing during the developement but we never had something that looked playable.
- Lack of time
On the whole October month we started on the 26th. Looks a bit suicidal, given that we never participated to a Ludum Dare! We started the Design earlier but it's only about 10% of the work!
- No knowledge of the tool (the reason that we left the Challenge)
We, or I sould I say decided to use StencylWorks, because it works on Macs (I never used it before but more than that, I am not the programmer!). So when you use a new tool that gives you a lot of problems, there might be some kind of mistake somewhere!
The last words...
Even if we did not submit our game to the Challenge, I think that we learnt a lot from it, and that is the real purpose of Ludum Dare! :)